Thursday, February 28, 2008

Buddy Miles..



As a concert photographer, sometimes you get the chance to shoot a legend. I've had a couple of those chances. You get the chance to shoot someone who, maybe as a kid, you looked at as a "rock star". I've had a few of these opportunities.

In September of last year, I was fortunate to shoot "Love In", which was held in San Diego. One of the performers was Buddy Miles. Buddy had formed Electric Flag with Mike Bloomfield, and Band of Gypsys with Jimi Hendrix.

He was a big man, but was frail and had been in failing health. Still, when he sang, he sang with a voice that most would sell their soul to have.

Buddy passed away this past Tuesday, at his home in Texas. I consider myself privileged and fortunate to have had the opportunity to shoot, what I believe, was his last performance. I ended up with a plethora of great shots of him, and I'll remember, fondly, having the opportunity to sit and talk with him whenever I look at those photos.

RIP, Buddy...

1 comment:

Holt Webb said...

Great entry, Steve. It's a wonderful tribute to the man, and a beautiful photo. Buddy would be proud.